Hedge Pruning: A Pragmatic Guide to Hedge Maintenance
It is crucial to prune the hedge to maintain its health and growth. Proper hedge pruning can be carried out by local services if you have the money. However, there are several online tutorials on how you can prune your hedges on your own. You should always aim to prune your hedge during warmer seasons. The reason for this is that hedge plants grow rapidly when its soil is warm during spring and summer. On the other hand, hedge plants grow slowly when the ground is cold during winter.
7 Step Guide to Hedge Pruning
There are several different approaches to maintaining a hedge. The seven step guide we employ that produces the consistently great results is:
- Remove dead or diseased branches: Start by cutting off any lower hanging branches that are clearly dead or diseased. This is essential for maintaining the health of your hedge as it continues to grow.
- Set up your guide lines: Instead of eyeballing your cut, setting up guiding lines on either side of your hedge allows you to follow a straight and formal finish.
- Start from the top: It’s always better to cut too little than too much. By starting from the top, you can gradually level out your hedge for a flush finish.
- Trim stray or overgrown branches: Hedges can grow rapidly in predictable ways. Remove stray or overgrown branches to maintain a consistent shape.
- Gradually move your guide lines lower: Once you’ve got a feel for the shape of your hedge, move your guiding lines inwards and begin refining your hedge lines.
- Clean up your trimmings: Neatly brush trimmings from the top and bottom of your hedge and add to a compost pile. Leaving them there will likely attract pests and cause diseases to your hedge.
- Start mulching your hedge: Mulch your hedge after pruning to encourage healthy growth.
When is the Best Time to Prune a Hedge in Sydney?
The best time to prune your hedges is during spring or autumn, when the rate of growth is at its peak. Ensure you don’t prune your hedge more than six months before the growth stage since the roots need a few months to absorb the nutrients.
In climates like Sydney, the growth of a hedge will vary rapidly depending on the season. However, especially in urban areas; a well-kept hedge is an incredible feature for any garden. If you’re searching for the best garden design Sydney has to offer, Stone and Lotus are experts in landscaping services. With years of experience, they could bridge the gap between you and the garden you’re envisioning.
Essential Hedge Pruning Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Working with hedging equipment can be dangerous, so it’s important you have the right equipment to keep you out of harm’s way. The fundamental PPE for hedge trimming is:
- Thick garden gloves
- Glasses or a visor
- A long-sleeved shirt
- Long trousers
- A breathing mask
Where Can I Learn More?
If you’re stressed for time and have a budget for paid services, contact your local gardening services for a professional and reliable finish. If you’d like to maintain your hedges on your own, there are plenty of masterclass videos and tutorials on how to perfectly maintain your hedging. From cutting a perfect line to mapping out the structure of your garden, professional advice is at your fingertips.